Skip to main content

In Sickness and In Wealth | In Poetry and in Possibilities

Falling sick leads to resting so long in bed that you can't help but to take a trip down the memory lane. I am out of living-in-the-now moments. My now is the bed and the pillow and the blanket while my Dad turns on the AC in his room. It's summer for them and winter for me. We are in Guwahati. And I am weak after my once-in-a-lifetime 103.6 degree fever. 

(P.S. I didn't take any medicine until the fever subsided to 102.6 and then to 101.4 and finally to 101.2. Since I never get fever easily, and even in covid the maximum fever I got was 101.2, I let my body's natural healing capacity get to work in the unusually high fever. Either that or I would go straight to the hospital to find out the cause. No gulping paracetamol mindlessly to subside the fever when it's something so unusual. Finally I took the paracetamol only when it was the usual 101.2 and to relax the body pains. Don't try this at home alone though. I did this with complete faith in my body and my alternative healing practices.)

So, I have still been resting from the past three days, not going out, not even out of the room. Past memories are natural to arise. There are two incidences I need to heal from and the work is in progress.

Here, I want to write, in order to record it forever, something amazing that had happened in 2019. I should have blogged about it then but life was in a rush.

We often undermine all the amazing things we actually create with our mind and mindset. We forget about it and call it serendipity. But the right mindset is an asset that creates so much more for us.

It was August 2019 in Bangalore. I had signed myself up for an open-mic poetry event for the first time after shifting to Bangalore. That entire morning I was nervous. I haven't done many open-mics before. My poetry is not very suited for open mics as it is for reading. Fewer similes. More metaphors. I have done recitations before but not the new-age spoken word poetry (which is different than regular poetry or micro poetry).

Anyway, I spent the entire day nervous and doing nothing. When it was time for me to leave the house for the venue I decided a few things to calm myself down -

1. I selected two poems from my book The Art of Letting Go and bookmarked the pages so that I don't have to memorize the number and then risk forgetting it on stage.

2. I decided I would just go and listen to the other poets there with an open mind and heart. I won't compare if they are better than me or younger than me or anything. I won't worry that I was new to the city or going alone or that I am from a small town. I won't feel good or bad if people like my poems or not. I will just go there and observe what Bangalore has in store for poetry.

With this, I went ahead for the event. It was a beautiful event and I listened to so many poems, all attentively. I sat by myself and didn't bother to forcefully introduce myself to anyone sitting beside me. I observed people- some came by themselves, some came with a bunch of friends. Some were there to recite their poetry and some just to support others. I wish I had such supporters. Even if I do I would never know because I never asked anyone to.

Anyway, the unexpected result of my no-judgement no-prejudice participation was that by the end of the event people surrounded me to ask about my book. I still considered it only the effect of the book in hand until I came home and saw some great pics and tags for me.  Days or months later the host of the event even uploaded a single pic of mine and mentioned the names of the poems I recited. How did she remember? And the fact that she even listened to it in the first place, not just the poems but the titles too?

I would have never experienced all this if I had just gone there for the purpose of narrating my poetry with a superiority or an inferiority complex. I would have either shown too much attitude and pomp or too much meekness. I feel the open-mind and heart thing helped open doors to serendipitous connections.

Later the host became an acquaintance. Two years later she became my teacher for a course. And a month later, she called me for advice and suggestions on something.

This is the power of possibilities. Every time we want things to turn out in a specific way we conclude. Conclusions are restrictive. Conclusions are limiting.

When we move ahead with an open mind and heart, we open doors to different possibilities we never imagined in the first place. Possibilities are creative. Possibilities are limitless. Possibilities are expansive.

And when you feel expansive, that's where the real wealth lies. Right riches for you.

Affirmation: I am willing to receive much more than I can imagine.

Question: What can this create for me? What is truly possible here? What can I receive here? ( this: any situation you are judging/concluding)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Liebster Blog Award I and II

So I just found it out today that  Geeta Nair  ( http://geetaavij.wordpress.com ) nominated me for  THE LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD  (liebster meaning “favourite” in German, which reminds me of the first German sentence I learnt - ich liebe dich :-D ) last year.  Also on the same month of November 2013, I was nominated for this award by  Bhavya Kaushik  ( http://bhavyakaushik.com / ) too.  I understand that I am too late in honouring the two nominations of the Liebster Award  but I am a big  fan of the saying – “ better late than never” , so I am going to accept it anyway. Rules of receiving the award : • To accept the award one must link back to the person who nominated him/ her. • Nominate 10 more bloggers who you feel are deserving of more subscribers. • Answer all questions posted by the nominator. • Create 10 questions for the nominees. • Contact the 10 nominees and inform them that they have been nominated for this prestigious award. I further nom

Tears of blood

[ The poem is written as a tribute and encouragement to the unfortunate rape victims of the society who are fighting every day to live with dignity.  This poem is published in  Read In Park ] Never had known pain, As I do now… Never knew what grief is, But I do now… When the morning sun knocks on my window, I weep silently recalling that loathsome night, When the rays fall on my wet pillow, I wail in self pity ending another sleepless night. Every morning I look into the mirror To see the detested face, Robbed, touched, raped, I now loathe my every single trace. I had begged for help, Had cried for mercy, But no one took a single step, That night to rescue me     They jeered at my pain, Laughed at my plight, “Men” they called themselves Those beasts of that night The fear that arouse in me, I fear it may bring my death Growing day by day, It questions my each breath The bruises on my face will heal, But the trauma ev

"Are You a Lesbian?"

“Are you a lesbian?” A friend of mine once asked me mockingly when we were discussing about my aversion from some (“some” not “all”) kind of men. “No. But does it matter?” I asked her scornfully. No, I wasn’t bothered that I was asked a question about my sexuality. But what I didn’t understand was that is being a lesbian a matter to be jeered about? What if I was one? Wouldn’t I be hurt and embarrassed that my sexuality was just mocked at? Why are the words “gay” or “lesbian” used as slangs? Another incident, that took place a couple of years back, was when I was teasing two girl friends of mine, accusing them of having an affair. I considered it as normal as teasing a guy and a girl. One of them found it so disrespectful that she, instead of simply denying the fact, chided that she isn’t of such “third class” standard. I later discussed the small argument that we had, with her, trying to make my point that being a lesbian or a transgender doesn’t define anyone’s cla