Skip to main content

Ablaze Within ...

It was either for the scorching sunrise that hurt her eyes or the cold breeze that blew scratching the fresh wounds on her arms, but Disha could tell that her friend had tears in her eyes for some reason or the other.

“Nothing,” Razia said, when confronted by Disha, hiding her eyes as she wiped her tears with her hands.

“Got paid?” Disha enquired.

“Yes.” Lied Razia while walking towards the place she has been calling home from the past couple of years.
She headed for the bathroom as she entered her room where two girls were sitting, one smoking a cigarette while the other wearing make-up in front of the broken mirror in the room.

Razia cleaned her skirt that was smeared with her blood. She wasn’t prepared for it. After all it was that 14- year old’s first time. Not the first time that she had been “ridden” by men, nor the first time that she bled while bearing the intolerable pain the men gave her, but for the first time that she painlessly bled indicating a cycle of bleeding that would follow every month from then on.

By the evening she had her fears and worries buried as she walked out of the brothel as a new woman wearing fresh clothes yet a sullied self. Memories of the last night still flashed before her eyes as she sat on the stairs near the brothel where men would come to choose their pick for the night.

The previous night hadn’t gone well for her; not that any of her nights were good but there were, no doubt, nights where she would enjoy whatever her owner for that night did to her, at other times it was just the usual practice of closing her eyes and waiting for it to get over soon. Last night she had her “cursed night” as women in the brothel called it, as no Saheb would pay for a girl who is bleeding.

But she wasn’t looking for a Saheb that night; she knew very well of the consequences and so she was sitting on a rock as lonely as her, near the beach. It was then that she was forced upon by three men who cared not whether she was bleeding or not. Needless to say, there wasn’t any payment done afterwards.

“Rape”, educated people call it; but how would Razia use the word when she had no idea whether she was allowed to use it. Isn’t an intercourse without the consent or will of any one of the persons involved, an instance of rape? And hadn’t it always been against her will, right from the first day when she started her business? Hadn’t it instead been the decision of the woman and the man who owned that brothel?

But she had kept quiet when they first brought her here and may be that was her only fault, the one she would regret all her life hereafter.

Her train of thoughts broke as a man in his early twenties came and stood near her with a smile.

“I am not working tonight, Sir,” she said gesturing at him to leave and look for other women who were exposing their scantily clad bodies near the street lights of that road.

“Hey, I am a writer. And all I want to do is to talk. Don’t be scared.” He tried to reassure her but somehow failed to do so for she stood up to walk back into her home, the brothel.

“Hey, wait.” He grabbed her arm pleading her to stop. She complied.

“How old are you?” He asked gesturing her to again sit on the stairs she had been sitting.

“Eighteen,” She lied like the way she was told to lie.

“So would you like to share something with me? About your past?” He asked her showing as much compassion as he could. But he knew very well that he lost her trust when she looked at him in a look that spoke of disbelief and loathing. He introduced himself to her to make her trust him. He knew it was a futile attempt.

He was a writer and his next novel was on prostitution and to ameliorate it he thought of talking to actual call girls to know their stories; and when he saw a distressed young girl sitting on the staircase of a brothel, he knew there was a story worth listening to. But he, unlike his novels, wasn't prepared to face someone so real.

Razia knew that the man in front of her was as impatient to listen to her past as she herself was in seeking to forget it. And although it was the first time she felt the urge to tell her story to the one man who showed sympathy towards her for a change, she knew it would make no difference in her miserable life afterwards. All her life she searched for that single soul with whom she could share her feelings and when she finally found one, she knew he wasn’t worth it.

How could she bare her soul to someone who would just use her tears to sell his own book? How could she tell him that she had a little brother to send to school every morning after she returned from her “work”? How could she tell him how she wished to elope from the place and how she couldn’t just to feed herself and her brother?

 How could she let him know how disgustful she felt of her own self? And would he understand when she would say that she had no other option but to do what she has been doing from the last couple of years? And would he believe her when she would say that her father was brutally murdered in front of her eyes as he was caught committing a petty theft? And what would he say when she would tell him that her mother eloped with her lover as soon as she heard about the death of her husband? And was it more shameful to be born with such an ill-fated destiny or to have such an ill-famed family?

“So, how can it be that a face so beautiful yet so sad doesn’t have a story to tell?” He asked again breaking her train of thoughts. “There must be a reason you’re here. There must be something inside you that is scratching you from within, insisting on you to let it out. You must have been forced into this profession, were you not? Tell me what made you come here? “


Razia smiled this time, smirking at her own fate. “No, Saheb. Not everyone who is sad has a sad story.” She walked inside the place that was home to her with an identity that was much more comfortable to live with, where no one knew of her past, however it was.


Comments

  1. Wow. You are such a gifted writer! You have brought out the harsh reality very effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goosebumps from the very first para....!!
    i don't read much... but if you keep writing like this i'll sure become a loyal and regular reader of your stories.
    keep up the good work. (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goosebumps from the 5th para and stays till the last one.....
    i don't read much... but if you continue writing like this i'll sure become a regular and loyal reader of your stories.
    keep up the good work (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for this one Sanhita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Telling the truth is very difficult because its painful & full of lies sometimes...agree with Anil..u r a gifted writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing comes as gift ,you have to earn it.So the writer had,
    Hats of to you....
    For your writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very mature piece of writing, I must admit. Heart-wrenching indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What to say...
    Once Albert Einstein said, "Everyone is a Genius. But if you ask a fish to climb on a tree, it will live its whole life thinking that it was fool."
    You are genius in your own field 'Writing'. You are such a beautiful writers who have a beautiful, imaginative and a creative minds. You are a girl of thoughts, The girl who knew very well how to express her feelings, how to write in creative style.
    Before I liked only non fiction writings not stories. For me to read fiction was waste of time. But from the very first time when I bought a fiction or story book 'Uff Ye Emotions' I realize the importance of fiction. And after this when I thinked to write a fictional story, I found it too difficult to write. However, non fiction writings was simple for me to write but fiction? It was too difficult for me. I realized a writer's mind. And just from then I started to give respect and love to Good writers and poets like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. :( Makes me sad to read it, Sanita. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Liebster Blog Award I and II

So I just found it out today that  Geeta Nair  ( http://geetaavij.wordpress.com ) nominated me for  THE LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD  (liebster meaning “favourite” in German, which reminds me of the first German sentence I learnt - ich liebe dich :-D ) last year.  Also on the same month of November 2013, I was nominated for this award by  Bhavya Kaushik  ( http://bhavyakaushik.com / ) too.  I understand that I am too late in honouring the two nominations of the Liebster Award  but I am a big  fan of the saying – “ better late than never” , so I am going to accept it anyway. Rules of receiving the award : • To accept the award one must link back to the person who nominated him/ her. • Nominate 10 more bloggers who you feel are deserving of more subscribers. • Answer all questions posted by the nominator. • Create 10 questions for the nominees. • Contact the 10 nominees and inform them that they have been nominated for this prestigious award. I further nom

Tears of blood

[ The poem is written as a tribute and encouragement to the unfortunate rape victims of the society who are fighting every day to live with dignity.  This poem is published in  Read In Park ] Never had known pain, As I do now… Never knew what grief is, But I do now… When the morning sun knocks on my window, I weep silently recalling that loathsome night, When the rays fall on my wet pillow, I wail in self pity ending another sleepless night. Every morning I look into the mirror To see the detested face, Robbed, touched, raped, I now loathe my every single trace. I had begged for help, Had cried for mercy, But no one took a single step, That night to rescue me     They jeered at my pain, Laughed at my plight, “Men” they called themselves Those beasts of that night The fear that arouse in me, I fear it may bring my death Growing day by day, It questions my each breath The bruises on my face will heal, But the trauma ev

"Are You a Lesbian?"

“Are you a lesbian?” A friend of mine once asked me mockingly when we were discussing about my aversion from some (“some” not “all”) kind of men. “No. But does it matter?” I asked her scornfully. No, I wasn’t bothered that I was asked a question about my sexuality. But what I didn’t understand was that is being a lesbian a matter to be jeered about? What if I was one? Wouldn’t I be hurt and embarrassed that my sexuality was just mocked at? Why are the words “gay” or “lesbian” used as slangs? Another incident, that took place a couple of years back, was when I was teasing two girl friends of mine, accusing them of having an affair. I considered it as normal as teasing a guy and a girl. One of them found it so disrespectful that she, instead of simply denying the fact, chided that she isn’t of such “third class” standard. I later discussed the small argument that we had, with her, trying to make my point that being a lesbian or a transgender doesn’t define anyone’s cla