Skip to main content

The Fare Affair

“Madam, your fare?” the bus-conductor asked the lady sitting beside me
in the bus I took from Jalukbari to Panbazar yesterday. The woman
handed out a ten-rupee note and got back a couple of coins.  I had a
fifty-rupee note clutched between my fingers to give to the conductor.
Although, the fare is only seven rupees, I did not have any other
notes of less value with me that day.
To my surprise, the conductor
moved on to the next seat to ask for fare without taking mine.
Perhaps, he confounded that I had given my fare already.
 Undoubtedly,
I was delighted by the fact that I had my seven bucks saved and I
could spend it on a candy bar.
But, deep within me, there was guilt
that I was doing something unjust.On one hand I was euphoric that I
had deft enough not to let anyone know that the reason of the smile on
my face was that I was travelling without a ticket. On the other hand
it made me feel debauched as I was entirely aware that the conductor
forgot to ask me.
Considering my conscience, it was not the right
thing to do. I decided to pay the fare and turned back to call the
conductor.  Alas, he was at the furthermost corner of the bus. Even if
I would have shouted to call him, he would not have heard. After all I
was sitting on the very first seat of the bus. So I considered this as
an indication that I should keep the money with me. With this context
I made my decision of not paying the fare. After all it was just a
matter of seven bucks only. It would not do him any harm if I did not
pay the mere sum.  But likewise, it would not do me any harm too if I
paid the fare like an ideal citizen. At the thought of this, the
conductor again crossed my seat and I called him. He did not hear me
as he was attending to other passengers standing inside the bus. Again
I decided that I must stop pondering over such a small matter. Is not
every second person in this world corrupt? So why should I act so
idyllically? I would rather not pay him. But then it reflected upon me
that people like the conductors and drivers are the needy. It would be morally
correct if I paid the fare. Preposterous! My state of mind was too
capricious to make the decision whether to pay the fare or keep it
with me.
At that very moment my stop arrived and I had made my mind.
While getting down at Panbazar I handed the conductor, who was
standing near the door, the fifty-rupee note I had and said that I had
forgotten to give in the bus. The conductor smiled and gestured the
bus driver to drive. I extended my hand and asked, “My change?” He
winked at me and the bus left…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Are You a Lesbian?"

“Are you a lesbian?” A friend of mine once asked me mockingly when we were discussing about my aversion from some (“some” not “all”) kind of men. “No. But does it matter?” I asked her scornfully. No, I wasn’t bothered that I was asked a question about my sexuality. But what I didn’t understand was that is being a lesbian a matter to be jeered about? What if I was one? Wouldn’t I be hurt and embarrassed that my sexuality was just mocked at? Why are the words “gay” or “lesbian” used as slangs? Another incident, that took place a couple of years back, was when I was teasing two girl friends of mine, accusing them of having an affair. I considered it as normal as teasing a guy and a girl. One of them found it so disrespectful that she, instead of simply denying the fact, chided that she isn’t of such “third class” standard. I later discussed the small argument that we had, with her, trying to make my point that being a lesbian or a transgender doesn’t define anyone’s cla

Tears of blood

[ The poem is written as a tribute and encouragement to the unfortunate rape victims of the society who are fighting every day to live with dignity.  This poem is published in  Read In Park ] Never had known pain, As I do now… Never knew what grief is, But I do now… When the morning sun knocks on my window, I weep silently recalling that loathsome night, When the rays fall on my wet pillow, I wail in self pity ending another sleepless night. Every morning I look into the mirror To see the detested face, Robbed, touched, raped, I now loathe my every single trace. I had begged for help, Had cried for mercy, But no one took a single step, That night to rescue me     They jeered at my pain, Laughed at my plight, “Men” they called themselves Those beasts of that night The fear that arouse in me, I fear it may bring my death Growing day by day, It questions my each breath The bruises on my face will heal, But the trauma ev

Exploring the City of Lakes - Udaipur

I like solitude, to be left alone for a date with my thoughts. It’s beautiful the way you do not feel lonely even though you know not a single person in the place you are in, in the city you are in. Although I have travelled alone before, gone to places all by myself, I’d never be entirely alone- I’d meet friends in the city or along the journey. This time I decided to make my comfort zone a little wider, to add one more escapade to it- a solo trip of four days and three nights to Udaipur, a must-visit city for tourists in the state of Rajasthan, India. Beginning with the transportation from Gurgaon/Delhi to Udaipur- I luckily got flight tickets cheaper than that of train. I booked the tickets only a week before my departure date; train fare was somewhere around 1700 INR while airfare was around 1500 INR. (However, the return tickets cost me a fortune so I still suggest taking a bus or a train for those who have the time and patience/) I expected Day #1 to be an uneventfu