Skip to main content

Thick Skin or a Filter?


You know what people can do to you? They can make you feel like you’re on top of the world. And then they can gently give a push so that you tumble down and hurt yourself. They can love you and then they can ruin you. They can make you feel that you’re the best and then they will begin to find the flaws on you. They can show you what’s wrong with you and they can make you feel miserable. They can let you know that you’re beautiful inside and everyone should be like you. And then they can tell you what and how you should be like.

Agree?

But can they? Really?

I believe they can’t. Well, unless, of course if you let them.

Thick skin, some people call it. But what I believe is that rather than having a thick skin that is immune to all the criticism of the world, one can just learn to be happy while having a thin and all-absorbing skin too.

If you’re peaceful inside and content, not complacent, with yourself how can anyone’s opinion bother you?
How can a break-up shatter you? Or, how can a person make you the happiest in the world?
How can a story make you feel miserable? Or, how can another make you feel good about yourself?

Absorb what is necessary. Reject what is untrue, even only in your opinion. Be a filter rather than a thick skin.

But then, do not listen to me too. Be what you are. Be what you want to be. But don’t always be as you are. Improve. There’s always room for improvement. But improve with each passing experience, each passing day. Advisors will be many (like me :-P), but you’ll be the only one who will know which one is the best for you.

And above all, be happy with yourself. In this way, no one can come into your life to double your happiness or to ruin it. The control is always in your heart, if not hands. You’re the master of your moods and feelings. 
Know it.

If you’re happy because of someone, it is only because you’ve made yourself feel so. And when that someone becomes hurtful, don’t let yourself feel so. Simple, isn’t it?

I read it somewhere – Life is indeed simple, but we insist on making it complicated.


Smile; you’re blessed and so is everyone else. 

Comments

  1. Nice one. I agree on most things here- I believe in a filtered way to live as well. It is impossible to not be affected by surroundings altogether. It unknowingly plays on our minds, anyways. But getting too affected will only bring in more unhappiness.
    Having said that keeping a safe distance in order to not allow anyone to disturb your peace will also mean you miss out on being close to someone, having the feeling of complete trust on someone.

    So neither thick skinned nor completely thin skinned- the filtered way. Good concept :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really nice viewpoint and I also agree to it.The moment you gain control of your feelings;you gain control of your life.So,quit being a SPONGE and start being a FILTER instead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really nice viewpoint and I also agree to it.The moment you gain control of your feelings; you gain control of your life.So,quit being a Sponge and start being a Filter instead ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Liebster Blog Award I and II

So I just found it out today that  Geeta Nair  ( http://geetaavij.wordpress.com ) nominated me for  THE LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD  (liebster meaning “favourite” in German, which reminds me of the first German sentence I learnt - ich liebe dich :-D ) last year.  Also on the same month of November 2013, I was nominated for this award by  Bhavya Kaushik  ( http://bhavyakaushik.com / ) too.  I understand that I am too late in honouring the two nominations of the Liebster Award  but I am a big  fan of the saying – “ better late than never” , so I am going to accept it anyway. Rules of receiving the award : • To accept the award one must link back to the person who nominated him/ her. • Nominate 10 more bloggers who you feel are deserving of more subscribers. • Answer all questions posted by the nominator. • Create 10 questions for the nominees. • Contact the 10 nominees and inform them that they have been nominated for this prestigious award. I further nom

Tears of blood

[ The poem is written as a tribute and encouragement to the unfortunate rape victims of the society who are fighting every day to live with dignity.  This poem is published in  Read In Park ] Never had known pain, As I do now… Never knew what grief is, But I do now… When the morning sun knocks on my window, I weep silently recalling that loathsome night, When the rays fall on my wet pillow, I wail in self pity ending another sleepless night. Every morning I look into the mirror To see the detested face, Robbed, touched, raped, I now loathe my every single trace. I had begged for help, Had cried for mercy, But no one took a single step, That night to rescue me     They jeered at my pain, Laughed at my plight, “Men” they called themselves Those beasts of that night The fear that arouse in me, I fear it may bring my death Growing day by day, It questions my each breath The bruises on my face will heal, But the trauma ev

"Are You a Lesbian?"

“Are you a lesbian?” A friend of mine once asked me mockingly when we were discussing about my aversion from some (“some” not “all”) kind of men. “No. But does it matter?” I asked her scornfully. No, I wasn’t bothered that I was asked a question about my sexuality. But what I didn’t understand was that is being a lesbian a matter to be jeered about? What if I was one? Wouldn’t I be hurt and embarrassed that my sexuality was just mocked at? Why are the words “gay” or “lesbian” used as slangs? Another incident, that took place a couple of years back, was when I was teasing two girl friends of mine, accusing them of having an affair. I considered it as normal as teasing a guy and a girl. One of them found it so disrespectful that she, instead of simply denying the fact, chided that she isn’t of such “third class” standard. I later discussed the small argument that we had, with her, trying to make my point that being a lesbian or a transgender doesn’t define anyone’s cla