Skip to main content

Silent Voices : A Book Review

Silent Voices 
poems

Author: Rohit Shetty
Publication House: Leadstart Publishing Pvt Ltd
Pages : 60
Price : INR 50 / $4

Poetry is a flow of emotions that otherwise remain dormant in the heart behind a veil that doesn’t let you speak. Rohit Shetty began his literary journey at the age of 12 when he wrote his first poem. He used to be an introvert, as mentioned in the Acknowledgements of this book that made it difficult for him to convey his emotions. And when he learned to write poems, he embraced this art as his closest friend to jot down the emotions he felt. His loneliness and introversion became a boon for him and his poems.

“Each poem I wrote relates to a real-life incident that had happened to me,” says Rohit.

“Silent Voices” is his first book of poems that contains a total of fifty beautiful poems. The poems talk of love, loneliness, grief, optimism and other varied emotions.

“A Caged Spirit”, his longest poem in the book, talks of a tale of a princess trapped and how a knight in shining armour comes to rescue her. For someone who wants to be rescued from their miseries of life, this poem would indeed throw some rays of hopes.

However, my personal favourites in this book are “Or is it too Late?”, “For Every First ‘Hello’, There’s a Last ‘Goodbye’”, “Tear in my Eye”, “Enigma” and “Never I Have Fallen”.

A poetry book like “Silent Voices” can indeed give you company in a lonely winter evening over a cup of warm coffee (Well, that’s how I read it, to embrace each emotion penned down).

Favourite verses:

“Wind of sorrow turbulent grips the sky tight
Poor sky is no match to the delirious might
It screams thunder and cries out rain
Then no wind or sky, only trickling tears of pain
….
I ask your identity, you say, “My name is Loneliness” : an extract from “Enigma”

“Promise me that you’ll keep our memories alive
For someone new might soon arrive” : an extract from “For Every First ‘Hello’, There’s a Last ‘Goodbye’”

“’Coz if dreams must be shattered
And my heart must be broken
Then, ‘tis all better be done
‘Ere the Morrow sees the Sun” : an extract from “Tear in my Eye”

If I have to pick one and only one poem to read again and again from this book, I’d choose “Tear in my Eye” owing to its beautifully sad ending that says :
“And if I may fail to live without you,
Then I’d be content to die,
With an image of your smiling face,
On the teardrop in my eye.”


“Enigma”, nevertheless, is, in my opinion, the best poem in this anthology.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Liebster Blog Award I and II

So I just found it out today that  Geeta Nair  ( http://geetaavij.wordpress.com ) nominated me for  THE LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD  (liebster meaning “favourite” in German, which reminds me of the first German sentence I learnt - ich liebe dich :-D ) last year.  Also on the same month of November 2013, I was nominated for this award by  Bhavya Kaushik  ( http://bhavyakaushik.com / ) too.  I understand that I am too late in honouring the two nominations of the Liebster Award  but I am a big  fan of the saying – “ better late than never” , so I am going to accept it anyway. Rules of receiving the award : • To accept the award one must link back to the person who nominated him/ her. • Nominate 10 more bloggers who you feel are deserving of more subscribers. • Answer all questions posted by the nominator. • Create 10 questions for the nominees. • Contact the 10 nominees and inform them that they have been nominated for this prestigious award. I further nom

Tears of blood

[ The poem is written as a tribute and encouragement to the unfortunate rape victims of the society who are fighting every day to live with dignity.  This poem is published in  Read In Park ] Never had known pain, As I do now… Never knew what grief is, But I do now… When the morning sun knocks on my window, I weep silently recalling that loathsome night, When the rays fall on my wet pillow, I wail in self pity ending another sleepless night. Every morning I look into the mirror To see the detested face, Robbed, touched, raped, I now loathe my every single trace. I had begged for help, Had cried for mercy, But no one took a single step, That night to rescue me     They jeered at my pain, Laughed at my plight, “Men” they called themselves Those beasts of that night The fear that arouse in me, I fear it may bring my death Growing day by day, It questions my each breath The bruises on my face will heal, But the trauma ev

"Are You a Lesbian?"

“Are you a lesbian?” A friend of mine once asked me mockingly when we were discussing about my aversion from some (“some” not “all”) kind of men. “No. But does it matter?” I asked her scornfully. No, I wasn’t bothered that I was asked a question about my sexuality. But what I didn’t understand was that is being a lesbian a matter to be jeered about? What if I was one? Wouldn’t I be hurt and embarrassed that my sexuality was just mocked at? Why are the words “gay” or “lesbian” used as slangs? Another incident, that took place a couple of years back, was when I was teasing two girl friends of mine, accusing them of having an affair. I considered it as normal as teasing a guy and a girl. One of them found it so disrespectful that she, instead of simply denying the fact, chided that she isn’t of such “third class” standard. I later discussed the small argument that we had, with her, trying to make my point that being a lesbian or a transgender doesn’t define anyone’s cla