Skip to main content

Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola - A Review


What seemed to be like a simple story decorated with funny dialogues, turned out to be much more. Political satire and rom-com are one of the many categories the movie can be put under. Nevertheless it’s the first movie of this year worth watching or at least giving a try. It’s a mélange of adorable characters with some serious and some out of the way issues. Vishal Bharadwaj has successfully converted the whimsical story into a 160minutes long light-hearted and watchable movie. Tolerable? Yes. Enjoyable? Yes. Emotion-triggering? Not at all.

When some of the best actors of the country like Pankaj Kapur and Shabana Azmi are involved in the movie, the performance has to be highly commendable and it, without a trace of doubt, is. While Anushka Sharma looks dazzling like never before, Imran Khan’s new look is impressive too.

The storyline? Well, there isn’t any one story line, there are many. Not confusing, but meandering would be the word that would perfectly describe the storyline. From alcohol issues to corruption issues to love dilemma, the story went in what seems like all the possible directions.

Characters? Crazy yet practical, greedy yet adorable.
While the movie hardly had moments of boredom yet the story needed a longer duration or a less amount of wandering to bring out the best of the moments of the movie.

In a nutshell? The alcoholic Mandola (Pankaj Kapur) needed to leave his drinking habits in order to avoid being the better person he becomes when drunk. A debauched minister, Choudhari Devi (Shabana Azmi) conspired with him to seize the farmlands of the village named after him so that an industrial complex can be built. The impending marriage of Bijlee (Anushka Sharma) and Baadal (Arya Babbar), the minister’s son would be a mutually beneficial alliance. Apart from being Mandola’s driver and the poor’s messiah, Matru (Imran Khan) had an additional job to stop him from drinking too much of the local beer, Gulabo, deprivation of which caused Mandola to have frequent hallucinations of the pink buffalo we saw so many times in the trailers.

While the first part showed the many aspects and characters of the movie, the second part dealt with completing the story by giving the farmers their land back, ridding the village of the corrupted minister, ridding Mandola of both his drinking habits and hallucinations, and like all Bollywood movies, throwing Bijlee into the arms of her lover Matru.

Conclusion? If you want to watch a good movie to trigger your emotions of sorrow, patriotism or love, better read a novel. If you want to have a good time, this movie will give you one for sure.

Comments

  1. still to watch the movie.Am a great fan of Pankaj Kapoor.This will be a blast too.
    Nice review written,it seems you have watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I did,, frst day 2nd show :)
      and Pankaj Kapoor looks too cute in the movie :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Sanhita,

    Thanks a lot for the review. Just because of Pankaj Kapur and the fact that this is a movie to have fun time with your near n dear ones, I think I'll give this movie a try. Will let you know my reviews :)

    Regards

    Jay
    My Blog | My FB Page

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to movies with a view to spend time enjoyably. Hence, I choose comedies. This is a good comedy, with some social message. The acting and directing are good. Songs are fine. Paisa Vasool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Liebster Blog Award I and II

So I just found it out today that  Geeta Nair  ( http://geetaavij.wordpress.com ) nominated me for  THE LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD  (liebster meaning “favourite” in German, which reminds me of the first German sentence I learnt - ich liebe dich :-D ) last year.  Also on the same month of November 2013, I was nominated for this award by  Bhavya Kaushik  ( http://bhavyakaushik.com / ) too.  I understand that I am too late in honouring the two nominations of the Liebster Award  but I am a big  fan of the saying – “ better late than never” , so I am going to accept it anyway. Rules of receiving the award : • To accept the award one must link back to the person who nominated him/ her. • Nominate 10 more bloggers who you feel are deserving of more subscribers. • Answer all questions posted by the nominator. • Create 10 questions for the nominees. • Contact the 10 nominees and inform them that they have been nominated for this prestigious award. I further nom

Tears of blood

[ The poem is written as a tribute and encouragement to the unfortunate rape victims of the society who are fighting every day to live with dignity.  This poem is published in  Read In Park ] Never had known pain, As I do now… Never knew what grief is, But I do now… When the morning sun knocks on my window, I weep silently recalling that loathsome night, When the rays fall on my wet pillow, I wail in self pity ending another sleepless night. Every morning I look into the mirror To see the detested face, Robbed, touched, raped, I now loathe my every single trace. I had begged for help, Had cried for mercy, But no one took a single step, That night to rescue me     They jeered at my pain, Laughed at my plight, “Men” they called themselves Those beasts of that night The fear that arouse in me, I fear it may bring my death Growing day by day, It questions my each breath The bruises on my face will heal, But the trauma ev

"Are You a Lesbian?"

“Are you a lesbian?” A friend of mine once asked me mockingly when we were discussing about my aversion from some (“some” not “all”) kind of men. “No. But does it matter?” I asked her scornfully. No, I wasn’t bothered that I was asked a question about my sexuality. But what I didn’t understand was that is being a lesbian a matter to be jeered about? What if I was one? Wouldn’t I be hurt and embarrassed that my sexuality was just mocked at? Why are the words “gay” or “lesbian” used as slangs? Another incident, that took place a couple of years back, was when I was teasing two girl friends of mine, accusing them of having an affair. I considered it as normal as teasing a guy and a girl. One of them found it so disrespectful that she, instead of simply denying the fact, chided that she isn’t of such “third class” standard. I later discussed the small argument that we had, with her, trying to make my point that being a lesbian or a transgender doesn’t define anyone’s cla